Holiday gatherings can be challenging for those with hearing loss. Being a part of a conversation with your loved ones as you celebrate the season is one of the most meaningful things you can do during the holidays.
It’s also important to know your options if you choose to have a virtual gathering to practice social distancing.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for the holiday season and make it more enjoyable, no matter how you choose to celebrate this year.
- Make those around you aware of your hearing loss. Don’t hesitate to state your needs. Hearing loss is more noticeable than a hearing aid, and people will notice even if you don’t tell them. Be upfront about it so you can enjoy your conversations.
- Keep the music down. Holiday music can be wonderful, but it can create a lot of background noise if it’s too loud. That can make hearing difficult for everyone.
- Take a break. Trying to hear in a lively atmosphere can take a physical toll. Even those without hearing loss find it difficult to hear in noisy environments. Take short breaks to give your ears and brain a rest.
- Sit next to those with whom you can easily communicate. Dinner parties can be more difficult because there are lots of people around the same table. Sit next to people you can communicate with easily so they can help translate noisy chatter. Good conversations will get passed around the table.
- Make sure your devices are functioning correctly. Keep extra batteries with you, or charge them overnight before a gathering. Visit Audiology & Hearing Aid Solutions, and we’ll clean and adjust your hearing aids before the holidays.
- Connect for virtual holiday parties. Set up a video chat with Zoom, Google Hangout, FaceTime, or Skype on your computer, tablet, or smartphone. You’ll enjoy seeing your family during the holidays while you maintain a safe distance. Some hearing aids styles also offer Bluetooth connectivity so that you can stream the chat audio right to your devices. You won’t have to worry about audio lagging and can enjoy clear sound as your family opens gifts or makes dinner.
We don’t want you to miss a single holiday moment. Audiology & Hearing Aid Solutions will help you get back to better hearing by adjusting your current hearing aids or providing you with new devices. Call 888-473-8702 today to schedule your visit.